BME Day 2019
Sponsors and exhibitors
The industry, medical doctors, and engineers meet for the Biomedical Engineering Day at the Inselspital in Bern with great success
On May 3, 2019, the Biomedical Engineering Day took place in the auditorium Ettore Rossi at the Inselspital in Bern. The Master in Biomedical Engineering program of the University of Bern organized this event for the 11th time.
The event is an efficient platform in Switzerland for networking of Master and PhD graduates and Swiss and international medical technology companies. This year’s companies introduced themselves through oral presentations and gave insight into their commercial activities and their company philosophies as well as showed their demands on junior employees. Students thus had the opportunity to get to know potential future employers and contact them directly. This was made possible between the sessions in personal conversations and at the exhibitors’ booths.
The BME Day offered great opportunities for the Bernese biomedical researchers, too. The ARTORG Center for Biomedical Engineering Research and the Bern University of Applied Sciences, a partner within the Master's program, used the possibility of presenting current research projects to more than 250 participants. Interestingly, Master and PhD students play an important role in many of these projects. Thereby, this event was a demonstration of scientific achievements, too.
Besides company representatives, scientists, researchers, and young academics, many medical doctors participated in this year’s event as they had the chance for intensive communication with the biomedical engineers. For the first time, young researchers presented their projects in a humorous way during a Science Slam session.
One highlight of the day was the successful live surgery by Klaus Siebenrock, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, University Hospital Bern (Inselspital). Illustrative explanations in the auditorium were given by Johannes Bastian, from the same department.
At the end of the day, four awards for excellent academic achievements in the field of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Bern were presented:
- Swiss Engineering Award for the best master's thesis (innovation): Jan Stapelfeldt (PeriVision - Visual field testing for everyone)
- Swiss Engineering Award for the best master's thesis (basic science): Michael Rebsamen (Fast and Accurate Human Brain Morphometry Estimation with Deep Learning)
- CCMT Award for the best PhD thesis: Stergios Christodoulidis (Lung Pattern Analysis using Artificial Intelligence for the Diagnosis Support of Interstitial Lung Diseases)
- BME Club Award for the best poster: Mareike Apelt (Tissue Impedance Spectroscopy to Guide Resection of Brain Tumours)
- BME Club Award for the best master's thesis abstract: Vikas Mathew (Erythrocyte-Based Nanotechnology for Personalized Drug Delivery Systems)
BME Day 2019 final program and exhibitors' plans
Please open the BME Day 19 booklet including the final program and exhibitors‘ plans here: